Manager, Private Client Individual Tax Services
Location: we accept applications from anywhere within Canada
Manager, Private Client Individual Tax Services will be responsible for the delivery of a full range of Expatriate and International tax services. The individual will ensure efficient, accurate, complete and timely preparation and delivery of all clients’ tax returns, as well as, interact closely with clients to provide tax consulting and compliance expertise.
The Manager will be responsible for supervising associates working on the assigned engagements; providing them with leadership, mentoring and career guidance.
In addition, the Manager will be involved in practice improvements and business development activities, as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- The Manager is responsible for the workflow on the assigned client engagements
- Manage the tax compliance process including delegating tasks and monitoring progress & quality of the tax returns
- Maintain continuous interaction with clients, manage expectations and ensure exceptional client service
- Performs detailed review of tax filings prepared by staff; determine all information required to ensure/complete accurate tax compliance
- Final review of some deliverables, including tax returns, not requiring a higher-level review; escalating any issues or tax questions to Senior Managers and Directors
- Review calculations such as tax cost projections, tax equalization calculations, hypothetical tax calculations, etc.
- Review and preparation of correspondence to deal directly with Canadian Revenue Agency, Internal Revenue Service/other authorities with respect to tax related inquiries and audits
- Conducts Tax Consults, independently or alongside a Senior Manager or a Director, to develop the client’s understanding of Canadian, US and foreign tax, compensation and payroll issues and implications of recent law changes
- Conducts initial calls with prospect and potential clients
- Preparation of fee quotes and pricing packages, related communication with clients
- Communicates to the appropriate firm personnel important tax and tax developments affecting the clients
- Acts as a resource for Senior Associates, Associates & Preparers, as well as, the other groups of the Firm on specific expatriate and international tax issues and/or questions
- Maintains familiarity with qualifications of all tax staff members; reviews staff assignments for appropriateness
- Supervises tax staff and provides on the job training
- Works to develop responsible, trained staff by assisting in recruiting, performance evaluations, developing training aids and acting as an instructor in professional development programs
- Continually increase understanding and knowledge in Canadian and U.S. personal income tax, international tax treaties and regulatory issues and payroll matters
- Maintain a general knowledge of economic and political trends of possible tax or other legislation that could affect the business climate
- Utilize tax expertise to develop new relationships in the business community, network and be involved in presentations and proposals
- Assists with projects that improve workflow processes and client services, including simplifying Firm procedures and processes, implementation of new systems, etc.
- Researches and evaluates tax preparation and tax research software for recommendation to Managing Director(s)
- Prepares other reports and projects as requested from time to time by the Managing Director(s)
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary
Qualifications & Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. CPA CA, CPA, Master’s in Taxation, LLM in Taxation, JD or Enrolled Agent.
- At least 7 years of progressive tax consulting experience, preferably with at least 3-5 years focused on international tax experience; minimum of 3 years supervising and directing work of tax associates/preparers
- Participates in career development program to improve managerial, communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be a member in good standing with an Accounting Association Institute, constantly meeting requirements for continuing education hours
- Superior analytical, technical and tax accounting skills
- Demonstrated experience in practice development, business development and managing a team of tax professionals
- Proficiency in use of computer tax preparation, tax research and tax planning software programs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong research, decision-making skills and critical thinking skills
- Capacity to work well in a team environment
- Capable of effectively developing and maintaining client relationships
- Occasional same day travel for work at clients; offices, meetings and seminars
- Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients, meetings or seminars
Occasional overtime work required throughout the year. Heavy overtime work required from February to April 30
- In the interest of the health and safety of our employees, Trowbridge requires those that wish to work for our organization to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.